Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Should I retire at age 61 and 37 years of work?

I've been teaching art for 37 years and I'm 61 years old. I can't decide if I want to retire. There are good and bad things about teaching, some things I like, some things I don't. I'm making a decent salary finally, and as teachers we have great hours and many vacation days. I'm weary of some of the things teachers have to put up with like discipline, bad attitudes,lots of paperwork, and disrespectful students. However, I really like the kids who are nice and want to learn (too few of them). I guess my greatest fear is the unknown if I do retire now. I don't have family where I live, no grandchildren or such. I'd like to pursue a career in artistic painting, but that's a long shot in many ways. My fear is that I won't have enough to do, or won't feel wanted or needed. I could see how I might get depressed not seeing other people like I do at work. Another factor is that my partner is younger than me and has to work. So it will all change how we live, and I guess that kind of scares me. How does a person know when it's time to quit one job and move on to something else? I'll take a pay cut, but I feel I can make it on retirement and social security. When is enough, enough? I'd like to do some volunteer work or maybe get a part-time job. In many ways, I'm tired of what I've done for 37 years, and yet, I don't mind going to work. I like goig to work. Does any one have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment